So, you think you’re ready to join the #fitfam, huh? Are you sick and tired of hearing people say, “her body is so dope,” or “he’s such an a-hole, but have you seen his body?”
You put the time, sweat and tears into the gym almost every day, but for some reason, you aren’t getting the results you want or hope for.
Is it because you’re getting “older”? NO! It’s that one magic word guys. DIET.
I was the perfect example of eating whatever I wanted and working it off. I’ve always been a tall, lean, athletic/active chick who got away with eating whatever I wanted and still maintained a healthy body. However, one day, I plateaued. My body wasn’t getting better, nor was it getting worse. I came to realize that, if I didn’t change my eating habits, my body would take a turn for the worse. Luckily, a friend of mine introduced me to a healthy alternative that changed my life forever: meal prepping.
I’ve learned firsthand how important planning your food a little ahead of time will get you to your fitness goals. This is the key to success my little gym rats. This preparation is what sets my body apart from all the other basic broads out there.
Sure, I can bypass the extra process of cooking and weighing out my food, but I refuse to look mediocre at best. As women nowadays, it’s a brutal world out there. So if you want to step up your looks, you need to step it up everywhere!
Some of you are saying, “Ew, I can’t do that,” or “eating the same thing for the whole week?! Not happening.” I can hear even some of you groaning in the background, “I can’t just eat grilled chicken and steamed vegetables, I’ll die.” Excuses, excuses, excuses. WAKE UP PEOPLE! It’s 2016 for goodness sakes. We can talk to one another via FaceTime. We can order fast food through a freaking app. Do you genuinely think meal prepping is too far out there? It’s not.
Maple bacon protein waffles 🙌 . Credit: @berejen . Also remember to check out one of our favorite accounts @fashionfreaksdaily A photo posted by 🍴 Meal Prep Daily (@mealprepdaily) on
Allow me to help you get your life, body, and health together.
Just like any new task, never jump into anything without researching, adjusting and planning. One must be organized.
In this article, I will tell you 5 things you will need to buy, along with a bonus tip, to start this process immediately in order to meal prep successfully. You will be putting these products into good use very often, so it’s worth the money. If you can buy a round of shots at a bar in NYC, you can definitely afford these life-changing meal prepping essentials.
1) Plastic Containers. Please don’t take this step lightly. Yes, you might have the typical drawer or cabinet that is filled with your classic random plastic containers, but I promise you it won’t do you any good (especially for you beginners out there.) The lids will be different sizes or some might be cracked, or some won’t be microwavable. There’s also the common-themed problem of it being too unrealistic to be carrying to/from work or school.
One of the main points for meal prepping is to make you feel more all-around more organized in your home, workplace, and soul.
Lastly, what I’ve realized about my plastic container theory is that I find myself actually desiring and yearning to meal prep more frequently. I obviously do it for my overall health, figure, and performance, but when you’re all done preparing and cooking your food, there’s this proud moment when you look down at your meals. Not only are they all filled with savory, healthy food, but it’s a great feeling when you see it all laid out, neat and symmetrical. I advise you to buy the containers I purchased through Amazon, which is: 38oz Microwavable White Rectangular Container Lid Combo CT. For $62, it comes with 150 microwavable containers! Make sure you buy microwavable ones because that means you can also put it through the dishwasher. You don’t want to use it once and throw it away. I picked the 38oz size because you also want it to make sure it is big enough to hold whatever it is you are making.
2) Food scale. The one I have is by EatSmart and for $19.95, it gets the trick done. It is perfect for cooks and dieters. The max weight is up to 11 pounds, and it has four display functions: ounces/pounds/grams/kilograms. Weighing your food out is really NOT A BIG DEAL. You’re adding a few extra minutes a week by adding this to your repertoire.
For example, you place your peanut butter jar on the scale and measure 2 tablespoons (which I have memorized is 32 grams). You’ll be pleasantly surprised how much 2 tablespoons of peanut butter really looks like!
Using a food scale teaches you portion control and calorie counting. This is all coming from someone who is inadequate in Mathematics. I’m not kidding. It’s almost comical how bad I am. Thanks to a food scale, I can track what and how much I eat. My food scale, along with the majority of the others, has a tarring feature. This allows me to tare the dish or container on the scale, making it so easy to weigh out my portions. It’s also lightweight and extremely portable. Many of them also run on a battery with a 3 minute auto-shut off, allowing you to maintain your battery life longer.
3) Crock-Pot. For you busy bees out there, I promise you this kitchen tool will be your new best friend. Literally. I’m positive you’ve seen recipes for a crock-pot, or a slow cooker but never really thought anything of it. That is until now. I want to personally find the owners of Rival Manufacturing who invented the Crock-Pot in 1974 and give them a big kiss. It’s the PERFECT thing for someone who is always on the go but still wants to cook a hardy, healthy meal. All you have to do is throw in the ingredients, let it sit for a few hours and voila! Dinner is served. There is a trick, however, if you want to save money! When you decide to purchase a Crock-Pot, look for one that has multiple functions, like the one I have which is mad by Aroma Performance for $56.62. For the Aroma’s, it serves as three purposes; a “slow cooker, “rice cooker” and “food steamer.” It also has a timer that will automatically turn off once the time is up and it will go into “warm” mode. The majority of slow cookers have 3-4 simple functions: warm, low, medium or high. The thing is that if you are not home or around to physically turn it off, it will keep cooking. By inquiring about a specific one, like the one I have, it’s like you are buying a bundle deal. Some of my favorite recipes are with the Crock-Pot. Your meat will stay moist and juicy throughout the whole week. I promise you, you will forget you are eating “healthy” after preparing a chicken recipe in this essential kitchen tool.
Doesn’t take much to get me excited but I’m amped because I FINALLY have a rice cooker! Found a great deal at Costco and due to my thought pattern of trail and error according to my wife I’ve just begun to cook enough brown rice for 2 weeks! But hey it’s #mealprepsunday so bring it on! #aroma #Aromaprofessional #rice #ricecooker #instagood #instamood #instasize #meals #mealprep #mealmanagement #carbs #fitfam #fitness #fitspo #healthy #healthychoices #active #lifestyle #cooking #inthekitchen @alana_lang
4) After the crock-pot, this item comes in a close second as one of my favorite things ever. If you love pasta and meatballs, but know that carbs aren’t in the cards for a while, you MUST BUY A VEGGETTI (also called a spiralizer). This is going to be the best $19.95 you’ve ever spent. This tabletop spiral vegetable cutter makes healthy “pasta” out of veggies with ease. You can make countless carb-free meals out zucchini, squash, carrots and more. This specific one has 3 interchangeable stainless steel blades: 1 for making potato chips, onion rings, and more, 1 for thick spirals, and 1 for thin spirals. It also has a suction base bottom that secures to any flat surface making it incredibly easily to use. Just place the vegetable in and turn the wheel. When I introduced “zuchetti” to my ex, he thought the whole concept was gross. That is, until he tried it. I’ll never forget his face when he was genuinely confused that he WASN’T eating pasta. It tastes that good. You don’t even have to prepare it. You can just spiralize it and throw it into your containers after you weigh each out on your new food scale. Seriously, this thing rocks. I have given a few of these to my girlfriends and they are all obsessed.
I love a fancy new kitchen gadget! #veggetti #zoodles #yum #healthyeating A photo posted by Taryn Rutherford (@tarynrutherford) on
5) Food tracking app. I use MyFitnessPal, but to each their own. Now, I’m not going to lie to you. It is definitely overwhelming, confusing, and frustrating in the beginning. But do you remember when you switched from a Blackberry to an iPhone or Android? Same idea. It just takes some getting used to. MyFitnessPal is a free and easy nutrition and fitness system that can help anyone achieve their goals and live healthier. The website helps people count their calories by entering it into an online diary, as well as keep track of their exercise. It’s for anyone with a busy life who is looking to lose weight or simply maintain a healthy weight. It can be tailored to fit the needs of anyone with specific restrictions. You can add recipes and it will count per serving what your macros will be. There are over 3.28 million different kinds of food to choose from since it was founded in 2005. I love the barcode function on it. If you are in a rush or don’t know exactly what to type in, you hit the barcode feature, take a picture and it will find what it is in no time. There is obviously an app for it, which is extremely user-friendly. If MyFitnessPal isn’t for you, there is also Nutrition Menu, MyPlate, MyNewDiary, Tap & Track or Lose It! Any of these apps will do the trick. It will also teach you about how much of what is in something, such as: how much carbs are in 1 banana? Do you know the answer? 27 grams of carbs! That’s a lot for people trying to lose weight in just one single piece of fruit.
6) Last but not least, my bonus point, or rather my glorious words of wisdom. PATIENCE. PATIENCE. You will mess up. You will feel defeated at times. That is a-ok guys! It’s completely normal. Was every piece of clothing Armani made was a hit? NO. Did Kobe Bryant miss the game winning shot? Yes. Sh*t happens. Life happens. Like my dad always told me, nothing good comes easy. That’s true in your relationships, career, hobbies, really anything that takes time and effort. Not even the best chefs in the world score a 10 out of 10 on every dish. Just stay with it. Be consistent. Be patient. Be happy you are learning to better you and the ones you love.
A photo posted by MyFitnessPal (@myfitnesspal) on
If you have any comments or questions about the products I explained, please feel free to write in the comments below. I want to see this country back to tip-top shape. One body at a time!